Great Indian Sports

General Sports that are played in India and other in World

Friday, September 19, 2008


According to media reports, Sourav Ghosal on Monday created history by becoming the first ever Indian to make the main draw of the prestigious British open men's championship. Ghosal, a former British open junior champion, graduated to the senior level only this season and displayed his wares in great measure to make the main draw of 32, while his compatriot and higher ranked Ritwik Bhattacharya was edged out in the first round qualifying on Sunday. Bhattacharya played one of his worst games in losing to reigning European junior champion Chris Simpson of England, who is more than 100 ranks blow the former's 178th position, 11-8, 11-10 (2-0), 11-10 (2-0) in 41 minutes. Ghosal, who won against Hisham Mohd Ashour of Egypt 11-8, 11-7, 2-11, 11-9 in 37 minutes in the first round, maintained his form to oust a young American hopeful, Chris Gordon 11-9, 11-8, 11-5 (39 min) to safely progress to the main draw. In all five Englishmen - Chris Simpson, Philip Barker, Ben garner, Alex Stait and Stacy Ross, Rodney Durbach (South Africa), Farrukh Zaman (Pakistan) and Ghosal have qualified for the main draw. "That was not the best from me, but I am glad to get through. I did not feel I had any rhythm but Chris played well, not making any errors and forcing me to work for the points'' Ghosal said after making the main draw. On his not finding the rhythm, the Indian prospect said "I have been working with Malcolm Willstrop (of England) for over a month now and we have been trying to get more rhythm into my game by slowing down my swing". Bhattacharya, the topmost Indian star said, "this is the worst game that I have been playing for a long time. I have worked and trained hard but I have been struggling with a few niggling injuries, of late".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home